Using onion juice for hair growth is a cheap, easy, and effective way to achieve your hair goals. To be honest girl, the natural hair journey is not an easy one. Forget the many beautiful hair pictures you see on the gram every day. It is a journey of patience, care, time, and more patience!
Yes, it takes time for hair to grow, but you can help it grow a bit faster. It doesn’t have to be a painfully slow hair journey. Thus, you can use growth stimulating ingredients like onion juice to help you grow your hair faster. Furthermore, onion juice helps in hair regrowth, especially those our edges, that are prone to breaking off. Additionally, onion juice helps to combat hair loss, add volume to your hair (Oh yes! I need more of that please). And, wait for it, onion juice helps to prevent premature grey hairs, and delaying the development of grey hairs! That’s simply amazing ( Please tell your moms and aunties about this)
For this post, we will highlight some of the benefits of using onion juice for hair growth, and some ways to incorporate onion juice into your hair routine. Are you ready? Let’s go
Some Amazing Benefits Of Onion Juice For Hair Growth
I have used onion juice, and I still use onion juice. Take it from me; it is a sure-shot method of boosting your hair game. Also, I am not the only one saying great things about the use of onion juice for hair growth. Because it has received, and it is still receiving great reviews from those that have used it.
Well, I like this remedy. And this is not just because of its effectiveness, but because it’s cheap! Yeah, you would have noticed by now that I don’t believe in spending so much on hair products. So, this is a win-win for me.
Some of the wonderful benefits of onion juice for hair growth include:
• Onion juice is rich in sulfur, which helps to nourish the hair follicles by stimulating the scalp and increasing blood circulation to it. Also, sulfur is vital for the regeneration of hair follicles.
The sulfur in onion juice also helps to boost hair growth and reduce hair fall, as well as minimize breakage and thinning.
• Onion juice helps to delay the development of grey hairs, and reverse premature greying. Are you wondering how? Well, here it is, Bradford university researchers in the UK showed that hair loss and grey hair is caused by the build-up of hydrogen peroxide —this is present in cosmetics and personal care products — in the hair follicles. And that this decreases the antioxidant called catalase in the hair — catalase is what keeps the hair black.
However, onion juice contains catalase, and this reduces the build-up of hydrogen peroxide in the hair. So, goodbye, premature grey hair! I know, awesome, right?!
• Onion juice possesses antibacterial properties that help to keep the scalp healthy, free of dandruff and infection. Therefore, promoting unhampered hair growth.
Editor’s picks: 8 ways to use Aloe Vera for hair growth
Superb ways to use onion juice for hair growth
Pure onion juice
Procedure for making onion juice
- Get a big onion, and peel the backoff
- Cut it into bits
- Put it in a blender with a little quantity of water. And blend it into a paste.
- Then, you strain the juice from the paste, using a cheesecloth — a loosely woven cloth — or a white handkerchief can work too.
- Thereafter, transfer the onion juice into a spray bottle, and spray it on your scalp. Make sure to massage it in, and give extra attention to your edges too.
- Place a shower cap/polythene bag over your head for 20-30 minutes
- Then, wash and condition as usual
Note: Onion juice has a pungent smell. In some lines that follow, I will tell you how I use onion juice for hair growth without the smell. However, if you decide to go with this method, then, after washing and conditioning your hair, apply scented oils to your hair.
Benefits of using pure onion juice for hair growth
Not only is this an excellent way to promote hair growth but also a great way to stimulate hair follicles by improving blood circulation to the scalp.
You can also mix your pure onion juice with other natural hair ingredients such as coconut oil, castor oil, honey, egg e.t.c
Benefits of adding coconut oil to your onion juice for hair growth
Mixing coconut oil with onion juice for hair growth works wonders on damaged, thinning hair. Coconut oil is a rich source of healthy fats, which have potent antifungal, anti-inflammatory, and antibacterial properties. Also, these fats keep the scalp healthy by removing fungi and harmful bacteria that may be on your scalp. And don’t forget that a healthy scalp is the foundation for growing beautiful, thick, long hair.
Benefits of adding castor oil to your onion juice for hair growth
Castor oil is one of the top natural remedies for hair growth tops the list. (Bonus tip: Castor oil can help you grow longer eyelashes). If you mix castor oil with onion juice for hair growth, your hair will thank you for it as the oil is effective in reducing hair loss and increasing the volume and thickness of your hair. (Who doesn’t want thicker and fuller hair, I know I do!).
Benefits of adding honey to your onion juice for hair growth
This combination is beneficial to those with brittle, dry hair. Honey is an excellent moisturizer, and accordingly, it will make dry hair soft and less frizzy. Also, honey possesses antiseptic properties that will help to combat dandruff and soothe an itchy irritated scalp.
Benefits of adding an egg to your onion juice for hair growth
Well, to be honest, I wouldn’t recommend this, unless you feel your hair has been neglected for a while and needs something extra because this mask smells. An egg has a smell, and onion does too. But what is a bit of a smell when you are going to reap excellent hair benefits from it?
An egg is like a hair multi-vitamin. And it contains wonderful fatty acids that will add lustre and shine to your hair. Furthermore, it contains proteins that will help to thicken your hair shaft, as well as vitamins B12, A, and D that contribute to healthy hair growth.
So, I have a pretty solid hair regimen now. And I like to keep my hair routine simple. And, I have found a simple way of using onion juice for hair growth, plus I don’t have to deal with the smell. Awesome right?
Here’s what I do, I put the onion juice in my homemade shampoo.
If you want to try it out. Here’s my homemade shampoo recipe. (Yeah, I know, don’t mention, You are welcome)
My shampoo recipe using onion juice
- So, I blend a big bulb of onion with enough water, as it will be the base of my shampoo.
- Then, I put the extracted onion juice in an empty shampoo container
- After that, I take a bar of black soap and cut it into bits. And I put the bits of the black soap into the shampoo container containing onion juice.
- Next, I add my essential oils (rosemary essential oil, jasmine essential oil, and tea tree oil) and my other oils ( olive oil, coconut oil, and castor oil)
- Then, if I have honey, I also add it to my mixture.
- I shake the mixture very well and let it sit for 14 days before I start using this.
Trust me; this is a powerful combo for your hair. You don’t have to buy those store-bought shampoos that you don’t know the chemicals that are in them.
Note: you don’t have to use all the oils listed there. Just onion juice, black soap, and one or two hair oils are enough to do wonders for your hair.
So, you can see that onion is so much more than a cooking ingredient. Indeed, it can help your hair grow faster. Not only that, it can help you reduce hair fall, give your hair volume, while also tackling any scalp issues. Onion juice has my maximum respect!
If you have tried onion juice or you want to try it, I will love to hear what you think about it in the comment section.
Till next time,
Stay be’you’tiful, stay blessed.
This article will be super helpful to you on your hair journey : How to prepare rice water for hair growth